Imagine calling two competing businesses to ask about a service: With the first, you speak with a representative who is rude or stilted and doesn’t easily give you the answers you need. With the second call, the person on the other side of the line is warm and builds rapport with you, all while explaining the process thoroughly. Given that the two businesses offer similar services at the same price point, you’ll likely choose the company that made an excellent first impression on you. Good customer service has the ability to turn potential customers into loyal customers, so when running a business, you should prioritize making your customers happy.
Why Customer Service Matters for Solopreneurs
Good customer service is at the heart of any business. Ignoring this part can prove detrimental to your business. Here are a few reasons you should invest time and energy in your customer interactions:
- Customer retention: Bad customer service can lead to lower levels of retention. If you’ve had a negative experience with a company before, you might have sworn off them for life. A productive and positive customer experience, on the other hand, can build trust and lead to customer loyalty.
- Reputation: Your level of service directly ties to your company’s reputation. If you prove you take customer complaints seriously and handle them with care, you can change their experience. However, if you are dismissive or won’t work to find a solution with a customer, you might be seen as difficult or unreasonable. That won’t exactly score you any brownie points.
- Competitive advantage: Your product or service is just one part of the puzzle when it comes to your competition. Aim for customer satisfaction to help you stand out.
6 Customer Service Tips to Improve Client Experience
You don’t need to have a customer support team to do customer service the right way. Implement the following easy tips to provide excellent customer service:
- Make it easy for customers to reach out. Things will always happen. A product might not work perfectly or a part of your service might upset your customer. Ensure customers can find your contact information with a quick search. Noodle makes this super easy. Customers can reach out via text message; instead of being slowly driven to boredom by the hold music, text messaging is an undisruptive way for them to ask common questions or ask for help.
- Have a customer service process. The best way to prepare for customer queries is to come prepared. Read customer feedback to understand what gaps in service exist and prepare answers to customer concerns. Knowing these key touchpoints means you won’t be caught off guard and can answer in a cool, collected manner.
- Focus on response times. Waiting a long time can be frustrating and make for angry customers. Quick replies can show them that their concerns are a priority for you. Noodle can cut down on the wait significantly: The Noodle AI assistant responds to customers automatically, kicking off the conversation much faster than normal.
- Personalize the experience. When greeting a customer on the phone or in person, use their name. Don’t forget to ask if you are pronouncing their name correctly. It’s a small personal touch, but your customer will appreciate you not mistakenly calling them Ay-va the entire time when their name is actually E-va. Also, know your customer. With Noodle, you can also pull up the customer history as you communicate, so you have a full picture.
- Consider language. Don’t speak with technical jargon or in any way that can alienate your customers. Instead, opt for positive language and communicate with your customers as if they are real people because that’s who they are.
- Think about what you don’t say. When it comes to any interaction, what you don’t say is as important as what you say. People can feed off the vibes from your non-verbal communication. If you’re in person, having your arms crossed can seem uninviting. Think about what energy you’re putting out there. Here’s a small tip: If you’re on the phone, smile. People can feel your smile through the phone.
Enhance your customer service with Noodle. Sign up for an account and gain access to tools that will help you get back to your customers quicker and more efficiently.